How successful was your final sequence? Does it demonstrate the rules of continuity editing?
In some aspects, where possible we have successively presented continuity editing however due to some difficulties involving various location changes and filming over two days, areas in which continuity editing could have been demonstrated failed. On the other hand, I felt our final sequence was successful due to not only entertaining our audience but by including a variety of shot types, music, effects and video transitions; this enabled the group to develop our skills further to be used in following productions including the final movie opening. We discovered problems with location due to rooms being occupied after filming different takes, and costumes were changed because of filming over the two days and being unprepared. The 180 degree rule was also broken, however, these mistakes have made us realize how assertive you have to be when filming.
Which aspects of your production (if any) do you think need a rethink?
Due to lacking in preparation beforehand, we were unable to demonstrate continuity editing as effectively as we could have; by changing this we could have ensured the location we chose to film on was available for the period we did film and that costume was kept continuous over the filming period too. This would give a fluent, professional look to the production and a feel of verisimilitude. We also should have rethought the time we had available as we spent more time on the beginning scenes and spent less time on the final scenes creating an untidy, rushed look; to correct this we should have made a time plan.
How similar was your final sequence to your initial storyboard? (Explain reasons for any changes) How could you improve the effectiveness of the planning stage?
I felt it was very similar as each shot shown the story board was taken and depicted in our preliminary task. We added a few changes, these being a few extra shots eg. Sam dying at the end against a wall which was not originally planned, and more detail not shown in the storyboard was added into our short film. Although our storyboard was effective in some ways as it did shape our filming and add a faster pace to the filming process, we could have added more detail and perhaps directions of the characters and so on and so forth, so we would already have the characters informed to add a better pace than we experienced.
Overall what practical skills have you developed during your work on the preliminary task?I have formed a better understanding of the software FinalCut and experienced the variety of things that can be added during the editing process through this programme such as effects (eg. slow motion), sound and so on. I have also developed my filming skills further and learnt from my mistakes through continuity editing to ensure I rethink this process on my final piece. I also successfully explored directing and performing in a film and revolving scenes around a storyboard.
What have the key lessons been that you need to carry forward into your main task?
I need to ensure in my main task that I am well prepared beforehand as this not only adds a faster pace to the filming process but also ensures that the filming which takes place is quality and not test shots that have no composition aspects involved. It also means that locations I will choose to utilize on my final task will be available and they they fit the brief and context of the story. I also need to consider continuity costume wise to ensure a fluent and believable production. I can forward skills I have taken from practicing in the chosen editing software and filming. I also know that it is important to utilize other software too to create interest eg. Soundtrack Pro as this was used to create the music in our preliminary task. To ensure my main task aesthetically appears professional, continuity editing must be considered in the shooting and editing process and the 180 degree rule must not be broken.